A powerful reminder of the amazing work being done by women and non-binary people.
1. “I think people are scared of disability because it reflects their own fragility, the fact that it’s very human experience, it and can happen to anyone, even you, is almost unbearable for many people. Being disabled isn’t something to be fearful of, an ableist society is.” – Shani Dhanda
2. “Forest fires, floods, extreme temperatures, storms, hurricanes, and melting ice are some of the headlines we hear about climate change. But for me and those I work with – climate change is a code red for girls at risk of child early and forced marriage.” – Dr. Faith Mwangi-Powell
3. “Be it conflicts, natural disasters, pandemic like COVID-19, or forced migration, almost always those who bear the brunt of these crisis are girls.” – Dr. Faith Mwangi-Powell
4. “We are facing a play emergency. And it requires us to collectively act. We as adults are the gatekeepers to our children’s life experiences and it’s our responsibility to ensure that this prolonged season of play deprivation comes to an end.” – Marie Williams
5. “Could it be that the very things that we are oppressed for, are our SuperPowers?” – Reeta Loi
6. “It’s fair to say we are seeing an epidemic of war rape round the world – literally hundreds of thousands of women finding their bodies used as a battlefield.” – Christina Lamb
7. “[The orgasm gap] data is important, as it tells us that it’s gender, which is responsible for inequality in the experience of orgasm, not anatomy, not capacity for pleasure, but rather….. whose pleasure is prioritised as most important.” – Dr. Karen Gurney
8. “Why is [rape] so common? Well it’s the cheapest weapon known to man – cheaper than a Kalashnikov bullet as one militia boasted to me – and sadly extremely effective at decimating communities, humiliating their people and driving them out so can take territory.” – Christina Lamb
9. “Stop faking it.” – Dr. Karen Gurney
10. “We need to start approaching trans people as people, and not as topics or a debate.” – Ugla Stefanía Kristjönudóttir Jónsdóttir and Fox Fisher
11. “Ditch the script and have more sex which looks like the sex you enjoy alone” – Dr. Karen Gurney
12. “By being open and vulnerable, I have radically changed people’s perceptions about trans people.”- Ugla Stefanía Kristjönudóttir Jónsdóttir and Fox Fisher
As we move forward from TEDxLondonWomen, these quots shine a light on how far we’ve come but also how far we’ve still got to go.
We’ll be releasing the videos of the talks soon – watch this space!